Thursday, December 18, 2014

Between-Break Puzzle Incentive

The weeks between Thanksgiving and winter break can be stressful and chaotic, and sometimes we all need a little extra boost.  With this in mind, I came up with a puzzle incentive for classes that do a great job.  Ordinarily, outstanding classes earn stickers.  Between breaks, we earned "performance pieces" for the 25 x 25 inch puzzle I created - a total of 25 pieces.  At the end of an excellent class, I chose a student to pull a piece from the bag and put it on our labeled grid.  The end result was a lot of fun and the kids got a kick out of it.  Here's a behind the scenes look at how the whole thing got started.

First I drew it on my tablet and projected it onto bigger paper.

Then I outlined everything in Sharpie.

Slapped some watercolor on it.
Chopped it up into 5 inch squares.

Labeled each part so we knew where to put it back together.
Flattened it.  Shout out to Football-Throwing Turkey adding a little extra weight.

The whole thing was finished in under two weeks!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment